Wednesday, January 19, 2011

On Computers

Comments
Stephen Morrow
Aaron Kirkes
Reference Information
    Title - The Complete Works of Aristotle
    Author - Aristotle
    Editor - Jonathan Barnes

Summary
    Arisitotle begins this book by discussing several differences between humans and "inanimate" plants. For example he discusses the idea of sleep and that plants do not sleep for various reasons, for example: they do not require any movement and are embedded in the earth.Aristotle also discusses that plants, in order to create offspring, require sunshine, temperature, and right time of the year. This is very similiar to that of animals which require many elements to be in their favor. Aritstotle goes on to explian how many different types of plants there are including the differences between the following: herbs, trees, bushes..etc. He goes on to describe that different climates have a wide range of effects on the fruits produced by plants in those areas.

Discussion
 I found this article to be somewhat interesting. I enjoyed the part in which Aristotle argues that all plants have souls because they reproduce, take in food, and also produce food. Aristotle also explains that he believes plants do sleep for a very small amount of time while they are taking in food. but, he describes this sleep as a lack of movement which would mean the plant sleeps all the time according to his definition. It was also very interesting to hear him point out all of the different types of plants and also how region as a large impact as to what kind of plant is grown there. I also thought this articled seemed to drag on a bit. After a few pages I started to lose interest in this reading.I'm no botanist so reading about different kinds of plants can only spark a small interest in me.

Here is a picture of a very odd plant from Southeast Asia

5 comments:

  1. What do you think of Aristotle**'s assertions that 1) Life => Soul and
    2) Something can be only partially alive.

    Either independently or in conjunction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the botany lesson was very dry but I do find the fact that his logic and reason lead him to all these "facts" is fascinating and he did this mainly with only being able to look at plants with the naked eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked how he explained what it means to have a soul and why plants have souls. But I find it hard to define a soul for myself, so I can't say I agree with him completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally found the botany lesson to be pretty annoying. It seemed like he had to describe every single plant that he could think of.

    While we won't know what plants are "feeling", it's not too much of a stretch to think they do experience "feelings" of full, satisfied, hungry, and thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's good that you're honest. I too found the subject a bit strange, but perhaps people find our same culture slightly strange as well.

    ReplyDelete